Thursday, April 23, 2009

Butterfly


When I was little, I remember a girl's dad bringing a whole ton of monarch caterpillars to our 1st grade classroom. We put them in jars and watched as they each formed a chrysallis and eventually became a beautiful butterfly. I even remember letting them go. Well, one day I found a monarch caterpillar in our yard. We drove around Beavercreek looking for milkweed, as I remember that's what they like best. I wanted so much for my kids to have a similar experience as I had. We put it in a jar with milkweed, but it died. I was so sad. Well, a day or 2 later, I went out on the porch and saw a chrysallis hanging from the railing! Just a couple days later, we saw that the butterfly had come out! I was so excited! Throughout the day, it slowly made its way along the railing, up to the top of the pillar where it dried its wings, and eventually flew away. We got to watch it for quite a while and I even went and got the neighbor girls to see it. Talk about tender mercies!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that Kim...great photography...what a fun memory to share with your kids.

    ReplyDelete